March is National Reading Month, & Laptop Lunches is celebrating with a month of storybook bentos! I was so pleased to be asked to contribute :) I let my girls choose the book they wanted me to make lunch to go with. They chose Pinkalicious by Victoria & Elizabeth Kann:
Pinkalicious is a perennial favourite bedtime story at our house. It's a silly story filled with fun, colourful illustrations. My girlies love that the mother in the story quotes the same rhyme I do, "You get what you get and you don't get upset". And we all love the ending :)
We even have Pinkalicious pajamas! (Purplicious ones too - that's one of the sequels.) Here my 7 year old reads the book to her 5 year old sister:
You can imagine how excited they were about these Pinkalicious cupcakes I made! Cherries aren't in season right now so I topped ours with raspberries:
Yummy! And a perfect fit in the smaller Laptop Lunches inner containers:
My eldest daughter's Pinkalicious Laptop Lunches bento contains:
- A flatbread cheese sandwich - I used scissors to cut it in a crown shape - and a cheddar star-topped wand.
- Strawberry yogurt sprinkled with pink & white sugar crystals.
- One of the Pinkalicious cupcakes
- Greens! Lettuce, celery, cucumber, and broccoli - plus carrot & radish flowers and a butterfly cupcake pick, for the part of the story where the butterflies think the pink girl is a flower :)
- And a Pinkalicious cupcake ring repurposed as a cloth napkin ring, and a spork (not shown above, see below)
Some stuff I used to make our bentos: